Thursday, June 2, 2011

hey..hey..got any advil? Come on man...just one?

I am getting ready to go to work today and am reminding myself to pack the pain killers.  In fact, the women that I work with have a secret society of advil and diet coke addicts.  Who ever has the pain meds. gets the least crappy job.  Think of it like cigarettes in prison.  You may wonder why so many of us need pain killers to get through the day.  Well, here goes.

Yesterday I climbed a ladder 15 times.  Yes I counted.  I was on my feet for 9 hours straight with one 15 minute break.  I dropped a box on my foot, tripped over a clothing rack and lifted 40 pounds over my head about 15 times..(hence the ladder trips).  As previously mentioned, I have seen some nasty injuries in retail.  Everyday someone gets sensor pin stuck through their finger at the very least.  Its kind of a contest to see who can get out unscathed.

Headaches are super common from doing such detail oriented work, and from being told to "move faster" about every three minutes.  Yes, I checked.  Also from having to do the same things over and over because a manager can not decide where she wants certain things and then gets into a power struggle with other managers who disagree and having to move the entire floor around three times in three days just to see who has the bigger ovaries.  Guess who gets to move it?  Yes, its us, the pawns in this ovary contest that is retail in womens fashion.

There is also the sugar angle...talk about prison favors!  Who ever brings in the sugar, in any form really, is the queen bee for the day.  I have come to not only understand the sugar addiction in retail, but to embrace it, to love it, to become one with it.  It's not like we are not working off the calories and it keeps us moving and hyper.  All the better to make your box times with my dear.  We need to stay positive, happy, upbeat, moving quickly, with a sense of urgency and direction...if sugar won't cut it.....I may have to start the meth as before mentioned.

So today I am armed with a baggie of advil, a box of cookies and the knowledge that today...I am a Goddess!

No comments:

Post a Comment