Tuesday, June 21, 2011

To quit or not to quit, that is the question

I am sitting here thinking about the possibility of getting up at o-my god in the morning to go to another shift in Hell.  And so the question is posed.....to quit or not to quit.  If I get up at 5 am, be at work by six, work like a crazy person on meth who just left the donkey show, I will still have only earned $43 dollars after taxes.  If I show up and work really hard I just may get another $20 added on for the week.  If I don't move fast enough I won't.  This sucks.
Most of the time I would say, hell no don't quit, you don't have anything lined up yet...but then I stop and think, I am working ridiculously hard and still my cable is off, my phone is turned off, I have to get my car inspected, have two outstanding tickets on it, late on rent, and bill collectors keep calling, thinking somehow that I am going to pay them.  Get in line bitches!!!!  Take a number!!!!  The Check is in the mail!!!!
Considering all of this I just keep hearing the conversations in my head of "no one in the back ever lasts", "people can't handle all this hard work", and the like.  I almost feel like I am abandoning the troops or something, like I am letting down my fellow wage slaves by not being able to stick it out.  I feel like it is almost a challenge to take as much abuse as I can handle, like I can one up the next employee.  It is almost as if we are in some sort of unspoken contest to see who can be the last one standing.  I think we all take a little too much pride in the amount of bullshit we have to wade through each day.
On the other hand, $40 is $40 bucks, and when you are broke, you are broke and every penny counts.  Or does it?  We all pay a price for everything we do, I get that, but again I am left wondering if the exchange rate is just too high.
Meanwhile, I have had another couple of leads that I have grabbed ahold of, and so am hoping to hear from them soon.
Wish me luck, give me advice, or just buy me another drink.

1 comment:

  1. I have been the person who stuck it out before, believing that it was to help my fellow wage slaves-- only to see them leave me and find something better. The only one you're serving by staying is the big business that doesn't care enough about your health and well being to pay you a decent wage and get you health insurance.
    Even working part time somewhere that doesn't treat you like crap is better than what you're doing right now.
    I'd bring rum to class tomorrow, but I don't want you drinking and driving home! ;)

    ReplyDelete