Saturday, May 28, 2011

Oh my God just Kill me!!!

So friends...tonight ends a work week or 64 hours in total.  No really, 64 freakin hours.  My fingers are numb, my feet are so swollen its not even funny, my back hurts beyond belief, holy shit just kill me now!!!

Truly though, I am not the only one.  Yesterday a manager cut off part of her finger on a rolling sales rack.  Two days before that, a stock room associate got a sensor pin through her knee cap, two women threw-up as the stomach flu is going around, one woman fell off a ladder and I am bruised from toes to thighs because of the amount of boxes I am moving around.  Thats right friends, we sacrifice our bodies, our health, our well being in order to "move with a sense of urgency", and to truly "connect with and inspire our customers".

Here, I must pause to give credit where credit is due.  I have worked in retail for years, I have never in my life met a group of more dedicated and self less individuals.  I can imagine no one being more dedicated to their fellow slaves...uh..I mean workers than those in retail.  The women who had the stomach flu literally wore masks to work and worked an 8  hour days to cut down on the amount of work for their co-workers.  I stayed for 12 hours today so that another worker could go home because she was sick.  The amount of shipment, processing and replenishment work is insane, there is way more work than workers!  We never have enough time, people or freedom to do the work required of us.  Each box of shipment has a time attached to it, and if we can't make that box time enough times in a row, our hours are cut, or worse we get fired.  We the working poor of America give everything for the consumer to be instantly gratified.

But never fear!!!  I have a solution!  Its Meth!  Thats right METH!!!  This is a great idea and heres why....
1.  We can so move with a sense of urgency!!!
2.  We can be up all night working, and not get tired or slow down around the dreaded 2am slump!
3.  We can work all night, then get up the next day and be at work by 9am with no complaints!
4.  Meth is cheap!  Lord knows we can't afford expensive drugs like cocaine on our wages..
5.  We can get as O.C.D. as corporate is about ridiculously minute details that really don't matter at all, and
      we won't question it!
6.   We can use the paranoia to ramp up our sales quota...after all "THEY" really are watching.
7.   We won't gain weight...as a matter of fact, we may even loose it to stay presentable for the sales floor!
8.   We won't complain about being sick, we won't even know when we are!

DAMN!  I am a genius!

Seriously though in retail, I have seen some of the hardest working people ever.  At a large department store I used to work for, I have seen managers hook up their own I.V.'s in their pic lines in dressing rooms, people with 2nd and 3rd degree burns from steamers stay for their full shifts, I have seen people super glue their cuts closed because they can't afford to leave early to get stitches and they don't want to bleed on the customers merchandise.  I have seen people break bones, throw their backs out, return too soon after surgery, pull their own teeth and the list goes on and on....Why you may ask?  Because we have to.  Because we need this job. Because it is so hard to get another one and we can't risk our families getting by on less than we are now.  Because in short, we are less than human.  We are treated this way by so many, that for us it becomes truth.
We have no access to health care, fair wages, unions, and the high end goods which we just about kill ourselves for the upper class to enjoy.  Those very people who look down their noses, who ruin displays, who drop things and never give a second thought to who has to put them away....those who treat us so shabbily....we sacrifice all that we have.

In the end, meth may not be the best choice.  How about a glass of whiskey and a lortab?  Don't mind if I do...

1 comment:

  1. I'll assume you're not serious about taking meth even though you're right...many people do take it to make their lousy retail lives somewhat bearable. ;)
    I think the worst thing about retail is the lack of unionization (and the wealthier people have convinced working classes that unionization is a bad thing). Unions could improve those terrible conditions. People don't realize how bad working in retail can be. It disgusts me how poorly people treat others in service industries...since when has it become so hard to smile, say please and thank you, and clean up your mess? Just because you can behave badly doesn't mean you should.

    ReplyDelete